Monday 4 November 2013

Swatch

Just more than a week ago, Helene Magnusson released a new cardigan pattern, Lopi Affection, and with it, a free Swatch pattern, to practice new techniques as well as an opportunity to participate in the Ravelry KAL, where the two projects with the most favs will win a sweaters worth of yarn for the Lopi Affection cardigan.


Since the new design is quite alternative and intricate, I wanted to try it's techniques, so I sat down to make my first swatch. I knitted in the round on magic loop, in order to have the settings for steeking practice (yes, you have that option too!), but as soon as I finished the first one, I looked at it and thought: this looks nice as a glove!
I try it on, and yes, it looked great! That's when I decided to make a second one, identical and a third swatch, for the proper pattern instructions, ie to become a pencil/glasses case.

For the first pair, I used some matching ribbon I had leftover from another project and voila! Fancy ribbon gauntlets in super warm Lopi yarn!


And for the second one, oh the steeks! I did it. It's a rather simple technique, I always thought that, but it's not easy. And it's definitely not getting any easier if you have never used a sewing machine before (like me).


The seams in my case look ugly, because I ran through the same place twice or more times to be sure that the seams were sturdy enough, and because I couldn't really see what I was sewing, under the metal part thingie the sewing machine has, to keep fabric down to the ground.

I was also fighting with the machine for almost an hour, because it refused to cooperate.[ie function properly]

this case has already become a gift!
In the end I made it. It turned out ok, and it worked. But one thing I learned for sure: I won't be trying it in a sweater unless I work on my sewing machine skills first. And it's not because I am afraid that I will destroy what I have knitted, I am only considering the amount of time it would take me to perform the steeks (it's a lot!).
That means of course that the patterns I have in my queue that include steeking, I will have to execute otherwise. ^^

Now, if you have a Ravelry account and want to support my work (I am participating in the KAL competition), then you can favorite one of my projects here and here. Thanks!
 

2 comments:

  1. I find it much easier to steek with a sewing maching, when I knit 2 purl stitches in the middle, that way I can sew into each "line" and cut between, I recommend that you try it next time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should make another swatch and try it! xD

      Delete