Tuesday, 4 December 2012

A vest

Recently, while browsing at Ravelry, I stumbled upon a design called Americano. I really wanted to make one, but although I searched for the pattern, I couldn't get a copy since it is not distributed digitally.

So I did what I always do - make my own version.

I used pictures to understand it's construction, and once I had that, I chose the yarn and the suitable needles and it was on!

Frankly, the yarn I used was used initially in another project I had started in July, a pair of shorts. But as I finished half of it, and tried it on and didn't like it, I frogged it and used the yarn for this project. One skein of yarn was left - maybe use it somewhere else?

It's 100% cotton and makes quite interesting coloring effects. It's also a colorway I have never used before. When I bought it I wanted to try out something new. It also suits the vest much better than the shorts! ^^

About the vest construction: figuring out the number of stitches was easy, since I used 3mm straight needles and for those I know exactly how many stitches is my size. Making the triangle shape was also easy, the only tricky part was to get the right bust shape. But that was not difficult after all - just needed to try different variations beforehand.

I also made it considerably shorter, and no, that was not a mistake, it was purely intentional. Although now I think I want another longer version with thicker yarn - for winter. Because the current version is quite summery - but totally perfect for wearing at work. ^^

I am thinking the second version in soft greyish yarn - but with some stitch variations for better layout. But for that I will need two things first: time and money. Because I am kinda broke right now and have soooo many things on my to-do list.


  1. Such ambitious project! I know that I'm not quite at the level where I can go from picture to design yet, but you did an amazing job! Also, I actually like your version a little better,

    1. Thank you! :D actually only recently have I started reading patterns (Ravelry influence!). until now i have been improvising entirely. I have also done the same as with this vest with this shirt: http://uberdentraum.blogspot.gr/2012/05/die-weie-bluse.html, http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Plektou/crochet-lazy-days-of-summer it's also my first upcycling project. ^^